Monday 9 April 2012

Chapeau Tommeke

I'm away from home right now, so I'm not blogging as much, and I'm not the undisputed master of the TV remote control. It was surprisingly nice that I didn't get to watch Paris-Roubaix until the early hours of this morning. I was tired and sore-eyed, but watching space-telly at silly o'clock in the morning has a special feeling to it. It reminded me of staying up to watch boxing from Las Vegas; the sense of grandeur and occasion that you used to get from World Title fights.

It seemed fitting that Paris-Roubaix should get the 'main event' treatment, and unlike some of those late night fights (Trinidad vs De La Hoya and Lewis vs Grant spring instantly to mind), Tom Boonen actually dished out a main event performance. He's been on fire since the start of the season, but I still wasn't expecting an attack more than 50K from the finish, well over 40K of solo riding and the ability to hold off a dedicated pursuit from Sky. It was one of the toughest rides I've ever seen.

My last ride was a miserable day of rain, roadkill and cement lorries, but I enjoy the way that when the pastime of cycling isn't holding your attention, the professional sport will always keep you interested until your enthusiasm returns.

No comments:

Post a Comment